21 August 2006

Style Dilemma: What to Wear to an Amusement Park

The original post, from waaaaaay back in 2006, is my "all time" most popular. Given a few of my recommendations have gone out and are back in style, I figured it might be time for an update. While most of my 2006 recommendations stand, my 2015 updates are at the end. I've also updated the links in the original 2006 recommendations for options available today.


Feel free to share how you've gotten through a sweltering day on the rides!



From 2006

Dear DC Celine:

Help! After long, hard, sleepless hours, my boss is rewarding us with a "teambuilding" trip to King's Dominion. I'm actually pretty excited, since I haven't been to an amusement park since the "band trip" to Hershey Park in 8th grade (at least as far as my unscarred pyche will allow me to remember). But what to wear? I'm going to be schlepping around in the mild heat all day, upsidedown & backwards. How do I maintain a modicum of modesty, preserve my feet, and still not channel "soccer mom?"

Amused in Anticipation

Dear Amused:

I hear ya. There are a couple of issues at hand:
  • Feet - walking around all day on asphalt gets hot and uncomfortable. Breathing feet is key
  • Hair - keeping it cool & not dissheveled
  • Skin - too much sun = bad
  • Heat - sweaty = bad
My suggestions:
  • Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen. There's nothing less stylish than a girl stranded in "lobsterland" because she "forgot" (as H is wont to do) to slather it on. Never mind there's less of a need for the fridge-cooled aloe vera when you get home.
  • Ballcap. This would be one of the very few times (the other would be when you're whooping it up at a homecoming game) I'd say: forget hairstyles, pull it back in DC's-best ponytail, toss on a cap, and leave it be. It'll keep you cool & sun-free.
  • Cargos or linen gauchos. You can't hurt 'em, and you'll stay cool without putting on (gasp!) casual shorts. Please, please, please, don't put on a pair of cutoff jeans. There is virtually nothing less attractive than a home-styled pair that's waaaaaaaay too short. And a skirt will not work on a roller coaster. Trust me.
  • Layered tops. Cami (preferrably sweat-wicking cotton), and a beach-inspired thin cotton button-down. A tunic would work well, here, too. Airy, light, and layered is key. An interesting t-shirt might do, too, but you'll be cooler if you're layered.
  • Shoes. This is hard. My comfort inclination is to tell you to screw fashion & go tourist by throwing on the running shoes. But I'm going to pull back from the edge and say: if you don't already have a pair in your closet, get thee to any store worth it's salt (my cheapy fave, Target, will do) and grab a pair of what department stores so eloquently call "fashion sneakers." Puma, Nike, and every other brand known to woman now have fun colors that won't kill your feet.
Anyone else have any suggestions for Amused?

2015 Updates

Nearly 10 years later, enjoying a play day with 100,000 of your closest friends is still a challenge. So here's what I'd do now.

Casual summer togs have come a long way, style-wise, since 2006. Play with prints and textures! Wear your retro...just about anything! Images via Target.com, and linked below.

1) Sunscreen - not long after this original post, the wonders of the then-only-available-in-Europe Mexoryl-based sunscreens came to my attention. I'd buy bottles and bottles on our European trips. As a child, no matter how many times my mommy reapplied, I'd endured blistered burns. So 70+SPF? Yes, please. Now, we can get the originally available La Roche-Posay Anthelios version, but even CVS has the wonder-block.

2) Ballcap - I love the retro versions from my favorite professional and college teams (I'm partial to my plaid Phillies cap, similar to this one), but I have to say that No.2 found my new favorite, this sparkly straw cap. Granted, it won't take on the water park, but sparkly? Yes please.

3) Easy "bottoms" - the gauchos everywhere in 2006 may be "out," but the 2015 version is the culotte. Most versions are dressier, fall options, so we'll go with today's cool jogger pant, if you want full coverage (helpful in the sunscreen department), or the loose, fluttery shorts that are just about everywhere. I've had luck with GAP and Target, but this Lucky Brand Tencel version is such a fantastic color.

4) Layered tops - or a vintage T - this one stands, save for the idea that cotton wicks (what was I thinking?). A cotton tank or cami is still a good option, especially if you want to layer it with a breezy button down (I have a reliable one similar to this Calvin Klein). That being said, the current "vintage T" trend options are cool, lightweight, and have more shoulder coverage. I can't help but steer you to this Schoolhouse Rock flashback.

5) Shoes - when you're walking all day, sandals and flip flops are just asking for blisters. So stick with my 2006 recommendations, and go retro fashion sneaker. To update it them to 2015, go for the slip on. If you grew up in the 80s and early 90s, your grungy skater dreams won't turn down this Vans-inspired leopard print. I have a Target version in my closet that I've been wearing non-stop.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having recently visited an amusement park in the very hot month of July, I found my baseball hat wasn't keeping the sun off my face . . . so I bought a straw cowboy hat at a gift store and viola! I was properly shielded from the nasty rays.

Alison Santighian said...

Anonymous - yup, good call - there are tons of fun cowgirl hats out there right now...you've inspired me to pull out my Girls' Night Out booty* - from Target! of course.

*My girlfriend did a SW theme for the night, and bought these - http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_8/601-8488295-5216966?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000F8GDXU - for everyone. We all looked great, and garned lots of unwanted attention

Miss Scarlet said...

Personally, I can't do the hat thing, but only bc my hair is so fine and impressionable it will look HORRIBLE once I take the hat off. I like the layered shirt idea, though! It even sounded breezy and cool. The most comfortable I have ever been at an amusement park was years ago when I wore my black capri pants and a cute, bright red, slightly athletic (but not in the "I'm wearing a sports bra" way) shirt. The pants were perfect for walking around all day.

Alison Santighian said...

Scarlet - what was your shoe solution?

CLanc said...

Best amusement park foot wear....Chacos. Comfortable, come in different great colors and if you get them wet it's no prob.