22 May 2007

Style Dilemma: Burch or London?

Vivien writes:

I've been trying to find Sue London's "London Slipper" forever, and I can't seem to find any boutiques or department stores that carry them in D.C. Would you know of any places that do carry them?

Also, do you think they're worth buying? I'm trying to decide between Tory Burch's Reva Flats, or a pair of Sue London's London Slippers...any suggestions would be great!

Vivien:

First, Sue London's "London Slipper" (above right, in my favorite Malay) can be found at Martin + Osa in Tyson's. It's a great store with tailored casual clothes inspired by a traveling couple from Kansas. (They left Kansas in 1917 to photograph Africa and the Pacific.)

Secondly, if you've read any of my missives on flats, you'll know I feel for you. Choices between flats are always tough. My answer: it depends on what you're looking for. Both options you name are great higher end flats. But here are the factors I'd consider.

1) Fit. Plain old try them all on (and pray you can remember how they fit between stores). One may come across as the clear winner.
2) What are you really looking for? A comfortable flat or a style piece, or both? There may be other options out there, like Nine West's Tuti, which may fit better.
3) Price. Tory's (right middle, in equestrian orange) are just a leeeetle bit more expensive, at nearly $200 to Sue's $130. Then you can jump down to $70 for the Tuti.
4) Color. Once you have the right fit & price, there are color choices with each option, though the London Slipper tends to neutrals. Are you the sort of gal who just has to match her metals? If so, then Tory's are gold logo only, so that would rule out silver jewelry (but only if you must keep them matching; not matching doesn't bother me in the least - in fact, I relish it!).
Good luck in your search, and let us know what you decide!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tory also does silver buckles on silver flats...