17 July 2010

The Times, They Are A' Changin'

Dylan I'm not, but still, it's true.

Over the last few years, the Infintessimal Readership has watched my life change, well, considerably. From my super-DC nupitals (ceremony next door to the Naval Observatory, reception at local watering hole with history, Chef Geoff's, née Quigley's) to Beans One and Two, I've shared the way I've had to display my style differently. We all have changing bodies, changing lives, changing jobs, and need to adjust our wardrobes to work for where ever we are right now.

As Bean One - aka, the 3-year-old Diva - grew, I managed to share. But then as Bean Two showed up, somehow, it got harder. Sure, it was easier with one, and now there were two, but I thought I'd be able to manage.

What this slacker posting has made me do, though - I'm always thinking of good posts, and as you know, going out to you to get input, so the intent is there - is to reexamine why I'm doing this. And to reexamine whether I'm still that stylish gal - that wannabe It Girl - who can answer your questions and share my fantastic style and foibles.

Generally, the answer is yes. So my body's changed and I have a little less time to pour over mags and the internet in search of Good Style. But a couple of interesting things have happened.

We Style Bloggers are known to wait by mailboxes with baited breath for the Next Issue. Miss Spinach and Belle, for example, are always sharing their inspiration from the latest pages. I, on the other hand, despite having some forced reading time when Bean One is in preschool and Bean Two is asleep in the stroller, stand in front of the CVS magazine stand (an actual subscription to something is way too much commitment for me) and just, well, feel uninspired. When I do manage to pick up a Vogue or Marie Claire, I'm left cold. I'm not sure if it's that I don't feel the creations inside aren't relevant to my life - that's not really the point of fashion, now, is it - or if fashion has taken a dive in creativity. I got the same feeling when I wandered through Pentagon City the other day. Nothing on the racks was even remotely interesting - not Michael Kors' mid-tier safari shirts nor my standby cocktail dress place, BCBG (no one takes the runways down to real life better, I think) made me want to try anything on, let alone plop down my card.

So what does make me want to plop down my card? What does get me excited now? Eeek. Two things: Duds for the Beans (though why I'd ever feel the need to buy anything for them, as they get more gifted clothing than anyone could ever wear), and Household Items.

The first we'll take - very loosely - as an extension of my own style, a way to help my children develop their own comfort levels and personal style (yes, they're 3 and 5.5 months, but hey, it's never too early, right?). The second? Not so much. I suppose we could stretch it to say that I'm styling my home. But that would be a massive stretch. We're not talking throw pillows and paint there. We're talking kitchen gadgets, food, and organization stuff. Right now, I'm more comfortable walking into The Container Store and Williams-Sonoma than even a Very Safe Ann Taylor Loft (though I must say, there's some very cute stuff there at the moment).

Folks, I'm trying. I'm somehow scared to buy anything new - clothing, that is - and not for lack of need. I'm perpetually unhappy with my closet contents - just ask H in the morning before work. I've got $100 to spend at DSW - and beloved shoes that are going to go to Shoe Heaven soon. I've documented some of my recent, boring, "staple" purchases. I'll get out there soon. Really.

5 comments:

Miss Scarlet said...

You'll get there! Maybe you'll be like me and be inspired once it's not nasty hot outside=/


and I've been reading you for 4 years now, wow.

Alison Santighian said...

yup. 4 years. crazy.

and thank you.

Celeste DeWitt Crutchfield said...

Hi there...
I've been reading your blog for a couple of years...can't really pinpoint when. Just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone in those feelings. I have a 4 year old and an almost 2 year old. I used to love fashion, I still do. But, I find it hard to make the time to follow through. I have clothes I bought in the fall with tags still on them. I have 2 or 3 Lucky magazines piled on top of each other. I'm tired..my body has changed...it's hard to have the motivation. Even harder is I'm at home full time now so I don't even have a real reason to get "dressed." I'm in gym clothes all day. It's so sad. OK, it was fun to vent.

Celeste DeWitt Crutchfield said...

Hi there...
Been reading your blog for a couple of years, off and on. I really don't remember when I started. Anyway, just wanted to let you know you weren't alone. I have a 4 year old and almost 2 year old. I love fashion, I always have and I always will. But, I have clothes from the fall with tags on them still and a stack of magazines I still haven't read. I'm too tired to care sometimes. Also, I'm at home full time and even have less reasons to get "dressed"....I go to the gym and then that's what I wear the rest of the day. I'm just too tired to care. Someday, I hope I will have more energy...right now, I need to feed and take care of 2 girls, get laundry done, clean the house, grocery shop, etc. Good luck and keep posting! BTW, I used to be a defense contractor too!

Anonymous said...

just found your blog...I'm a new mom. Can't imagine two. You offer a unique quality to DC fashon blogs-- how do you transition from an LA-making-The Hill-fashionable into the next phase? A leader. A wife. A mom. You've done it. Just tell us about it.