11 April 2011

New lease on life: critical undergarments

You've heard it on every style show known to man. I've written it before. But I'm going to say it again: if you haven't gotten fitted for a bra in the past year, get thee to a reputable lingeré department or store. Now.

I've been slowly whittling away at my extra pounds. And with the first 5 suckers gone, I already feel an improvement in the way things fit. It's incredibly encouraging.

Then, because H had to pick up some suits from tailoring at Nordstrom, I stopped in "Women's Intimates." Now that I'm no longer a food source, I can wear regular bras again. The Bean joined me, enamored with the triple-mirror in the dressing room. The saleslady measured, and brought samples. We found the right size, and oh, my, goodness.

I feel like I've lost 10 more pounds.

I stand up straight, my clothes fit better, and my hourglass figure is, well, hourglass.

That's not to say I won't maintain my healthier lifestyle. I will (though the Easter Bunny can be cruel). But if ever there were motivation, it came in a D-cup.

Last little bit - tips from the lovely saleswoman:
  • Have 5 bras in rotation. Seems like a lot, but, see rule #2.
  • Never wear a bra 2 days in a row. They need to recover, so they don't stretch out too much.
  • Always buy a bra on the tightest hook. I've lost the logic of this one since Saturday afternoon, but it has something to do with stretching.
  • If it's sliding up in the back, you're wearing a band size that's too big (all too common, she says).
  • It really should lay against your skin between the girls. And it can. I didn't believe it until Saturday. Huge, huge difference.
  • The whole "lean forward, pull 'em up, tuck 'em in?" It works.
  • Bras last 6 months. 9 if you're really, really kind to them. (I did ask her whether this was some sort of bra industry ploy to get you to buy more. She assured me it was not.) H has now decreed that I have to go every 6 months. He likes it when my bras fit.
  • Being kind to them includes hand washing and no Woolite. In fact, most detergents have some sort of chemical that break down the elastic.

So there you have it. Go forth. Get measured.

2 comments:

Nimmity said...

Nice one :) Like the cheklist.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that it's always buy a bra on the loosest hook. That way, as it stretches out you still have the tighter hooks to go to.