08 August 2012

Shop & Give in Style: District Sample Sale Tickets Go on Sale Today!

Since it's inception, it's been a fabulous event. I hawk it here every season for good reason.

1) Awesome causes. This year, it's one close to my own heart. I firmly believe that the arts are a key window to children's development. The Sitar Arts Center, which fosters personal and artistic growth through the visual, performing and digital arts, the Center offers after-school, weekend and summer classes to more than 800 children and youth each year, 80% of whom come from low-income households.

2) Shopping. This is - almost literally - a who's who of DC boutiques and artisans, even. Some of my favorite wardrobe staples I've found on the DSS racks, like a retro-silouhetted red knit sheath from last year's Imagine offerings, my now-too-big-but-much-beloved Stitch's jeans, and more Queen Bee necklaces and Lillybee shoes than I should count.

3) Cocktails & Snacks. There are always fun cocktails - I've yet to be disappointed with the 2-3 signature choices each year - and who can say no to sliders or cupcakes (they're teeny, right? Fewer WW points for this #healthyme girl?).

4) Friends. For me, the DSS has become a place where I meet online friends (twitter, instagram, blog) In Real Life. Personally, I've spent the extra money the last few seasons for the extra hour of VIP shopping, shopped like a madwoman, and then spent the rest of the time wandering, gossiping, getting my fortune told, and forgetting, like usual, that the fabulous makeup Neiman Marcus always has on hand (last year it was Le Metier de Beaute, and their artists were amazing) is NM card or cash-only. Cash, girl, cash. Make sure you have enough cash.

And with that tip (bring cash. it's way easier.), on to the specifics:

What: District Sample Sale Fall 2012

Where: 5300 Wisconsin Avenue NW (the old Filene's space - hurrah! in my 'hood! less trying-to-cab-in-and-out-of-downtown-or-Georgetown for me!)

When: Tuesday, September 11, 6:30-9:30pm (VIP 5:30-6:30pm)

Why: See above. That is all.

I will have my finger poised over the "buy" button at 10am sharp this morning. How 'bout you?


   
Lastly, keep your eyes peeled on this space. As we get closer, I'll share tips for maxing out your DSS experience (there is a science and an art to it), and maybe, just maybe, there will be a "group shopping experience" coming...

No comments: