13 November 2014

Ageless Beauty: Beauty Tips from the "Advanced" Set

She's always got a show tune at the ready. If you're lucky, maybe a little soft shoe, too. We run into her, usually, when we're on our way back in from our after-school activities, and she's all dolled up, ready for dinner before a show. "An avid theater goer" would be a glorious understatement for our friend Aunt Dottie.

I had another post in draft, just about ready to go, and then I ran into Dottie at our front desk. It's cleaning day, and I offered commiseration, since H and I spent most of our self-imposed 4-day weekend cleaning and organizing. My nails and hands are shot, I shared.

"Oh, you know what's good?"

Dottie and I started swapping natural and home-remedy beauty tips (ok, she shared, and I agreed on the few I know and use). I promised her I wouldn't reveal her age. But let's just say that, well, you wouldn't guess it.

She really is a fashion plate, even on cleaning day. That's some serious (and probably purposeful, knowing her) pattern mixing, never mind the nonchalant cleaning rag in her apron pocket.

1) Fix Those Winter Hands: For hands that are as torn up as mine, and to prevent them getting worse whilst cleaning, track down a pair of white cotton gloves (I kinda like these, because they have "inspection" in the name, as if my house is clean enough for one). You've heard it, the spa and nail place have done it, but slather up your hands with your favorite thick lotion, then don your gloves and go to bed. Note: you will have to adhere to that other bit of advice about not using social media in the bedroom to do this.

2) Fix Your Cuticles: I am not one to worry about them, but when they get so dry they crack and split, well, maybe it's time to do something about them. Dottie says to put plain white vinegar (go ahead, get the big bottle, then check Pinterest for its infinite uses) in a little spray bottle, and spritz throughout the day. She keeps them on her kitchen counter. Office-bound? Keep them on your desk, especially with this adorable atomizer. My own tip, for folks who might see other people during the day and don't want to smell like salad dressing? Add in a little essential oil, say...lavender (my favorite).

3) Keep Your Cuticles: Now that you've fixed them, use up that evening TV time (or whenever else you can sit without touching thing) by using a lip balm (she recommends "the one in the metal tube at CVS," but Chapstick will do, too, she says), and pushing the balm into your fingertips.

4) The Best Lotion: Dottie swears by the big tub of thick Cetaphil ("it's a little expensive, but it's the best"). However, so you don't contaminate your tub with your icky hands, put some in a smaller jar (these are a package of 6, but I'm sure I can find a use for 5 more) for everyday use, then try to use a little spoon or spatula to scoop it out (how cute are this spoon and this spatula?). Also, see #1 and use it on your dry, cracked feet (also like mine).

5) Hydrate and Alkalize: To stay hydrated (and if you look at her skin, there's no way you can argue with this), mix 3 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with 2 of honey into a paste, then mix into water. Drink at least three glasses a day. From my own experience, especially with my cleanses with Ellen Kittredge, CNC, try raw apple cider vinegar and raw honey (but any old honey will do).

6) Your Face: Forget the fancy creams, at least a few times a week, and use either the aforementioned Cetaphil or good, old-fashioned Vaseline. Slather your mug with the stuff, use an old, clean men's T-shirt (but don't bleach it, because that's not good for your skin) as a pillow case to save your shams, and get a good night's rest.

7) Avoid Stress: It's simple, and easier said than done, but this was her parting thought to me (after I tried to explain about this blog as a website so I could get her permission to post her pic and tips). Rid your life of as much negativity as you can. It just doesn't do a body good.

Oh. And one she forgot, but I've learned from knowing her nearly 16 years: learn a few show tunes by heart, and break into song on a fairly regular, but unexpected basis. There's one for just about every situation.

What are your favorite beauty tips and at home remedies? What are the ones you really, actually use (and didn't just pin to your "Must Try" board)? Leave a comment and tell us - and tell us who told you!

No comments: