02 December 2015

One Wonderful Thing

I can't even remember what it was yesterday that gave me pause. Something caught me, made me stop and bask in a moment of wonder. It was fleeting, apparently, but it gave me an idea. I got to the office, crammed through a day, spent a lovely afternoon and evening with No.2 while his big sister was off at a flute concert rehearsal, and crashed hard by 9pm.

The idea was only that yesterday, an idea.

And then, this morning, as I shuffled partially caffeinated towards my office building, the view made me stop. It was simply beautiful. On the surface a planned, out-too-early (it was up before Thanksgiving) retail "seasonal" marketing scheme (read: make the area so pretty that folks can't help but "get in the spirit" and buy their friends and family lots and lots of Things), I wanted to wrinkle my nose at it.


Instead, I chose to let it wake up a joy - a wonder.

As a Christian, this Advent season is about just that: wonder. We wait, and we anticipate. We know of the great wonder coming. It's central for us. In our home, we're trying to counteract the giddy anticipation of ALL THE PRESENTS that's had No.2, especially, wired and on hyperdrive since before Turkey Day. We're looking for ways to give Baby Jesus his best birthday present ever by showing his world some love and kindness. But that's a story for another day.

Today, I ask you to join me in the wonder of the season. No matter what your belief system, there is a something in the air. Let's notice it and capture it - and share it. Let's see what we can create. At least once a day through January 6th (more is ok, because, let's face it, there are so many moments out there right now), capture One Wonderful Thing and share it on the social media platform of your choice (I'll be on Instagram, Twitter, and facebook), tagging it #1WonderfulThing.

There are no definitions for that wonder - or even for what constitutes a "thing." That's part of the point. Whatever catches you, whatever brings you a moment of joy - spread that wide. Tag friends and convince them to join us, and let us raise our spirits to the true spirit of the season.

No comments: