09 March 2006

Why Western Wear Returns to the Runways

If anyone knows the answer to this, please tell me.

I get that it's the "ultimate American style."

I get that we like the ruggedness of it.

I get that we like the reality of it.

What I don't get is the style of it.

It makes sense to throw on a pair of boots with jeans or a skirt. I like that. I have a great (real, not fashion) pair. They're one of my favorite pairs of footwear. It doesn't make sense to send the average American male (or female, for that matter, thinking back to The Look for Less episode with the fleamarket search for a western-inspired ensemble) out in full-up western gear.

It doesn't connect to today.

It doesn't connect to who we are right now as a culture.

Not to mention that I can't for the life of me picture F in a western print button down.

1 comment:

Miss Scarlet said...

I like belt buckles (not HUGE ones), I think they can be hott.