19 May 2008

A Compliment is Always Nice



...especially when you're a tired, haggard Beanmommy.





And yes, H compliments me regularly - not out of habit, even, but rather because he means it. But somehow, it just helps when it comes from out of the blue, from random strangers.





The lovely hostess at Palena (we didn't get a reservation, but we did manage a table in the cafe - to die for) noticed my bracelet. It was a last minute add, kind of the reverse of Coco's (look in the mirror and take off one piece before you go out the door). I can't usually wear bracelets and necklaces; the Bean thinks they're just marvelous. But since she was asleep (thank heavens), I pulled out a piece I'd been itching to wear: a lovely little bracelet from manu. Flirty, sweet, and a teensy bit cheeky, the cherries were what caught the hostess' eye.





The bracelet gushing pulled over our waitress - and then she started gushing over my dress. I'd gone with the sweater dress, and what has now become my go-to pair of pumps, my Chie Mihara buff pair. Effortless, comfortable, and well, when you got legs, and you know how to use them...





Thank you, ladies, for the confidence boost.


And as a quick summary for those of you who love Things Food, like me, I was hungry:
  • White Asparagus from Provence with coddled hen's egg and shaved black truffle - I'll kill for anything asparagus - especially white - even endure Icky Egg (i.e. gooeyness like you'd find in the yolk of the coddled variety)
  • Nettle Gnocchi with ramps and some other spring finds I can't remember at the moment - Palena's gnocchi are the most luscious thing ever, and the ramps and nettles...oh sigh...
  • Beef Filet two ways - seared with some sort of mild crust, and braised, I think. I wasn't paying attention - just saw "RED MEAT" on the menu. Melty goodness that is beef, I adore you.
  • Strawberry tart with lavendar cream. I Love Lavendar.
H took it easier than I...
  • Rigatoni with Lamb Bolognese (usually I'm the one that MUST order the bolognese, as it's My Favorite Food)
  • A roasted bass with calamaretti and lobster dumplings, and gorgeous spring vegetables like shallots, asparagus, and fennel

And washed it all down with a pinot noir...

3 comments:

prettyinpink said...

i love that bracelet. i need that bracelet. i think i might have to get that bracelet. would you mind terribly??

Alison Santighian said...

go right ahead. totally affordable at under $40.

Dariaux said...

We are sooo alike. I adore asparagus and abhor the gooey egg.