12 October 2009

Shop in Style: Tiger-Striped Memories

For those of you willing to forgo sustinance for a pair of those red soles, a chance to meet THE Mr. Louboutin...


What: Christian Louboutin in the store. Purchase a pair of shoes which Mr Louboutin will sign(shoe must be new and purchase at Neiman Marcus Tysons Galleria, one pair only will be signed). Accessory Fashion Editor for Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman Roopal Patel
will have a Q&A with Mr Louboutin.

Why: Because red is always chic

When: Saturday October 24 from 1:00-4:00 (Q&A at 1:00pm)

Where: Neiman MarcusTysons Galleria (only)


If I didn't have a child's party and mama duty that day, I might just go and blow our mortgage payment on this pair of boots that reminds me of Ms. Howell. The first "Ms." I knew, she was probably 70+ at the time, with short dyed strawberry blonde hair, zebra-striped stillettos, and had come in on the train from New York City. She was our cotillion dance instructor, leading us mercilessly through the niceties of elegant society (white gloves, receiving lines, and the boys finding the girls seats before offering to get them punch and cookies). She ruled the ballroom at the Kennett Country Club (where my grandparents, avid golfers, were members) with a set of castinets, starting and stopping Sam Tavoni's ivory tickling at whim. In my prized Laura Ashley dress and gloves, I glowed with pride (and probably still have the trophy, somewhere) from winning the end-of-season dance contest with Matt, the trumpet-playing cutie from "the other school" who eventually went on to play trumpet at my BabySis' wedding, a break from his daily life as a father and respected community member owning a group of local funeral homes.


But whenever I see tiger stripes, I fondly remember Ms. Howell. I can still hear them clicking across the floor when she walked - but not when she danced...even at 70, her feet never touched the floor...

No comments: