13 June 2013

Give in Style: How to Wear a Scarf

I'm a scarf addict. Always have been. I've been collecting scarves from my grandmothers, my mother-in-law, and, well, Target, for years. Decades, even. So when I posted recently about the beautiful Ethiopian-made Salem's Ethiopia scarves sold by Walmart online, a few of you said "I want to get one, but I don't know how to wear it."

Any way you want to, really.

Scarves are currently hip, but they've been a lady's go-to accessory (a gentleman's, too, for that matter) for literally centuries. A lady can never have too many scarves. They go with just about everything. My always-together mother-in-law, for example, is never, ever without her scarf, her hat, and her lipstick.

They cover your hair in a convertible. They keep your neck covered when you're under the weather. They wrap around your shoulders when you're chilled. They give a bit of flair, and they add color.
Clockwise, from top left: Nepali by TDM, Salem's Ethiopia, vintage, Bean Style at its best, vintage, Target (blue version not online, but a pink one is), Salem's Ethiopia, vintage, then, in the center, Salem's Ethiopia + The Bean.

As you can see, I'm partial to the big, drapey scarves, which I wrap two times around, then tie loosely. But I can tie 'em in a bow and throw 'em over my shoulder, too. (Points if you get the reference, folk song enthusiasts). Little ones will knot demurely. Big ones will drape softly.

I've found scarves just about everywhere, but as I already posted, two of my favorites are Salem's Ethiopia, available via Walmart, and my newly gifted Nepali by TDM silk number. Both are soft, drapey, and add lots of color to neutral ensembles. That, and part of proceeds go to support women's small businesses. How can you not love that?

PS - for those of you who want a tutorial, the lovely Clinton Kelly pinned one recently. Check it out here!

No comments: