03 October 2013

Style Inspiration: DC Celine and the Fashion Week Runways

I've been a bit silent lately. Reasons? Some of the usual, but also, well, let's just say that I've had my first taste of daily posting. If you remember, I started writing for Glass magazine a while back. Well, Glass News does regular fashion week coverage, and as one of the contributing writers, I was a part of that, covering New York, Milan, and Paris (Glass is based partially in London, so there was loads of coverage already).

Marc by Marc Jacobs, via Style.com

I'm thrilled to have had this opportunity - can't tell you how much - and all it's taught me already. I've always been a fashion geek, but there's a lot I don't know. So in researching and writing the show reviews, I've learned about Vichy prints (in Olivier Rousteing's Balmain show), the ins and outs of Scottish highland dress (and how an entirely of-the-moment designer like Phoebe Philo can appropriate them in the loveliest of ways for Céline), and something as critical to fashion history as the Dior Bar jacket (is Raf Simons able to do anything wrong in the fashion world's eyes?). I've explored a legendary technician like Yohji Yamamoto and another who calls Patti Smith a friend (Ann Demeulemeester).

I've had a ball.

Céline, via Style.com

What does this have to do with the Everywoman, you ask? How the heck am I supposed to wear Vans with a skirt entirely made of netting to the office? You're not. Never mind that the shows are labeled "Ready to Wear," or prêt-a-portér. 99.9% of what you see there of course doesn't make it to the racks at Macy's or even to a higher end place like Nieman Marcus. What you will see, aside from the one or two looks you might actually wear straight from the runway, is invention, beauty, ingenuity, and creation. And then you'll see trends. Oh, the trends.

Emilio Pucci, via Style.com

The trends will hit us like a ton of bricks. There will be some that we'll love, some we'll embrace, some we'll hate, and some we'll try on and realize, though we hated the idea, and said "Never," well, we did. But the runways are one of the places our everyday clothing pulls on.

That, and it's really, really cool.

Alexander McQueen, via Style.com

If you haven't clicked through from my facebook posts to read the reviews already, and you're interested in reading what I thought of some of the most watched collections for next spring, they're lined up here. And please do check out other writers' reviews. There's a lot of talent sitting over there at Glass news.

No comments: