25 March 2011

Style Poll: What Cool Don't You Do?

When 3120Forever and I were on our mamacation last week, she pulled out a belt and said "I really want to wear this belt, but I just don't know how to do it."

It was a great, medium-wide brown braided belt. Ideal for cinching a blousy t, cardigan, or even a sweet little spring-to-summer dress. She put it on over the flowered top she was wearing. Which should have worked.

Nope. Didn't work.

Stacy & Clinton rave all the time about belting "the thinnest part of your body" to accentuate it, blah blah blah. But you know what? It doesn't work on everyone. I have the same problem as 3120Forever: we have fairly broad (not thick) ribcages. So a belt won't help. Eeeeevery once in a while I manage it, but for the most part, I'm relegated to using belts in my belt loops, if at all.

There are plenty of things out there that are supposed to be style principles - or rather, styling principles. And you try them, taking care to do Exactly What the Stylists Say, to no avail.

So what trend (or classic) do you love but just. can't. do? Me? shirtdresses. Love. But i look like a toad in them.

No comments: