13 June 2012

Shop & Give in Style: Tangerine Tango Swap

H has a mini-obsession with trips to the Salvation Army. It's been our go-to as we clear things out each season, whether from The Beans growing (sniff!) or from us shrinking. He just dropped a few loads last weekend, while The Bean and I were at the dress rehearsal for her first dance recital.

And this weekend, I put two more skirts on the "to donate" pile. I adore these skirts (born of my late summer cargo and denim purchases), but they're not worth the time and energy to take them in the inches (woo hoo!) they would need now.

What I should be doing is swapping. It's all the rage, you know. I know myself well enough to know that ebay or a "shop my closet"-type effort will be just that: effort. And too much of it. I'd sell the things, I'm sure, then never get to the post office to mail them to the nice person who bought them. That probably wouldn't go over so well.

But a swap, I think I could handle. Bring my stuff, take new stuff (that fits!). I think I can manage that.

Naturally, we'll juuuuust be getting back from Down Tha Shore when dewdrop DC hosts the next of their incredibly successful swaps. If I could only get myself in gear to pile up my pieces before we leave (item #537 on my pre-beach to-do list), I'll see you there!

What: Tangerine Tango Swap

Where: Vapiano Bethesda, 4900 Hampden Lane, Bethesda, MD (Red Line, ladies!)

When: Saturday, June 30, 1-4pm

How: Tickets, here. Then here are dewdrop's instructions (bolding my own) - which are important to the swap going well, thankyouverymuch!

"[Bring] unwanted yet stylish items to the swap in exchange for items from other fashionistas. Bring five items or more of like-new or vintage clothing, shoes and accessories. Then, fill up a bag with as many items as you brought in. All sizes are welcome and encouraged. In light of the hot color-blocking trend, and tangerine tango as the “it” color, summer season items are only accepted, and items are not limited to only this color.

To avoid long lines and to maximize time to inspect for quality, there will be a drop-off time of 1:00 to 2:30 pm. Vapiano is located in Bethesda Row where there are many shops and cafes to peruse before the doors to the swap open at 2:30 pm. Fashionistas can swap until 4:00 pm, when the doors to the swap close. Tables and clothing racks will be sorted and labeled by type of clothing and size, from extra small to plus size.

Not only can fashionistas look fabulous in their new wardrobe, but they can feel good knowing that any clothing remaining from the swap will be donated to Goodwill. Goodwill’s mission is to help people earn a living, improve their lives, and strengthen their families and their communities.

Register early—Dewdrop will give away swag bags to the first 50 registrants online. Tickets are $10 if purchased in advance and $15 at the door with at least five items at both price points. Tickets are available at http://dewdrop.eventbrite.com.

To add to the fun, there will also be raffle prizes donated by local Bethesda retailers as well as a red carpet photo-op, where fashionistas can strike a pose and don their swap finds."

What you have to do: Promise to report back on your finds!

No comments: