15 August 2012

Style Memories: A Piece of Me

It's crazy busy at work.

But you've heard that from me before.

When it's crazy busy, my subconcious often contributes to the insanity. Perhaps it was the little man who wouldn't stay in his own bed last night, so I let him stay with Mama (H is away, and The Bean slept over at my MIL's last night). Perhaps it was the looming 8:30am meeting for which I wasn't ready, even though I didn't go to bed until after 11, and I'd worked literally from the moment I put him in bed around 7. Perhaps it's a lack of physical activity, which I've realized is incredibly important to my sanity. Yeah. I know, "Duh."

I don't think it was the little man. I woke up at some point in the very early morning and we were literally snuggled together. Very happily.

So we'll chalk it up to massive overload and lack of exercise on other fronts.

Nevertheless, I dreamt last night. I dreamt of Austria. I was there, with dear friends I really should call family. I don't recall much from the dream at this point, 5+ hours later, as those dream memories fade, don't they?

I do, however, have a sense of presence from 2 of my 6 host parents (I had 3 families when I was there as a Rotary exchange student after high school). They were there, in my dream, of which I have no other recollection. I'd spent my "middle" months with them and their dear dachsund. I learned a little bit of Dutch living with them, as she is, we spent Christmas in the birthplace of - literally - Silent Night, and I really learned to ski.

So when I dressed this morning, with my little man lounging in bed, watching "Clifford the Big Red Dog," I went to my jewelry box. I wanted a "statement necklace." I reached first for a Queen Bee, then paused.

I pulled this out instead. My first host family, where I have a mama and a papa and 3 sisters - all of whom I'm still in touch with. Before I left them, and at this point, I honestly can't remember whether it was at Christmas that year or before I left Austria, they gave me this traditional Austrian necklace. I don't wear it as often as I should.

So I'm wearing it today.

1 comment:

RosaLovesDC said...

What a fabulous story. I was going to ask you were you got that necklace when I saw your post on Instagram because it is a stunner.